Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Nursery for L

When we first moved to our current home, I was almost exactly a week out from my due date. I was in emergency nesting mode, but our house was full of boxes and I could barely walk up the basement stairs without having to pause to catch my breath. Through help and patient encouragement from my Mommy (yes, I still call her that), my husband, and my mother-in-law, I realized it would be better to take my time and enjoy this project rather than rushing into it just because of a natural impulse to nest. It was a good thing I waited as L came ON her due date! And now she's almost a year old...WOW.

Almost a year old?! Almost walking?! Where did the time go?! Why am I using so many interrobangs?!
This is probably going to be an ongoing project as she grows, but here is my first attempt at a girlie nursery for our sweet L. I know that I won't necessarily be able to do this for all of our children, but I wanted to have fun with this and savor it. I also used it as an opportunity to learn a few things, especially about sewing. It's only taken almost a year, and there are still a few things to be fixed, but I'm pleased with the overall result.
A zoomed-out view of the room. I apologize for the poor lighting; the walls are NOT the lime green color they appear in this photo. They're more of a mint color. It was overcast outside so I had to improvise.
Her monogram. I obviously have to fix the alignment of the letters, but I'm in love with the fabric dots and porcelain flowers!
I crocheted this blanket for L while I was pregnant. I used this as the basis for the color scheme of the room.
I sewed the crib skirt with a LOT of help from my MIL on those ruffles. It will be a while before I try to do ruffles again...yikes!
Sorry, again, for the poor lighting. I sewed this on my own! Despite being a little wonky, I'm happy with it.
We're trying to teach her to love books!
The adorable wooden elephant puzzle is from my childhood. We use a little bit of "Gentle Baby" from Young Living Essential Oils to help her sleep. 

I sewed her a little pillow for when she's older. And I love my Target glider. I fall asleep in it at least once a week...The lamp shade is only temporary.
This beautiful piece of art was made by my sister just for L. It says "Let the king be enthralled by your beauty." It's a quote from my favorite verse, Psalm 45:10-11.
I put Hobby Lobby acrylic gemstone knobs on a Target dresser, and L promptly broke the top two. She loves to look at herself in the mirror and play while we're changing and/or dressing her. I love the Hobby Lobby frame too, which says "I never knew how much I loved your Father until I saw how much he loved you." It's true, I fall in love with him all over again every time I get to watch him just be Daddy.
This was made for me by my aunt and updated for L by my Mommy. Isn't it sweet?!
I love organization and baskets and bins and color coordination...we do cloth and disposable diapers depending on what we're doing that day, so we have to have two giant trashcans hidden away in the closet. I take extra precautions to ward off yucky diaper funk!
I had so much fun sewing, coordinating, hunting, and decorating! I apologize for the poor lighting as it really doesn't do the cute colors justice. Green is my favorite color, but I know it's not the most girlie of colors so I thought it would be cute to add touches of pink. Most of the things I used were found on sale at stores like Target, Hobby Lobby, and Babies 'R' Us. A couple of things are from Amazon, my hubby found the crib on Craigslist, and the rest we already owned. I owe a HUGE thank you to my sweet hubby who loathes painting, but loves us so much that he was willing to paint the room and crib! I hope this is a room that L will enjoy for at least the next several years.

My next project will be to organize my sewing and crafts room. I need to get a head start on that because if we have any more children, I may lose some of that space! I love sewing, crocheting, and now I'm learning to knit too. What projects are you working on? Does it seem to take anyone else forever and a day to get each project done?! Later this week I'll share more about what's been going on with my health and my spiritual walk, so stay tuned!

Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment