Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2016

The Big L

The past week's highlights included: 1) discovering our daughter's first new tooth and 2) Super Bowl 50. Or Super Bowl L. For some reason, no one wants to use the L. I get it, it looks awkward, but it is what it is. Actually, it was AMAZING.
I was born and raised a Denver Broncos fan. I remember watching them play when I was little, hoping that one day John Elway would lead the team to a Super Bowl victory. In the 1997-98 season, when I was 10, the Broncos seemed unstoppable. There was an annoying little boy at our church who taunted me weekly. He was a Green Bay Packers fan and he had this hideous Packers coat that he wore every week. Consequently, all I wanted for my 11th birthday was a big puffy Broncos coat. We lived in England at the time and the Internet was in its infancy. My parents, God bless them, patiently hunted through JCPenney Online to find my dream coat. All they had available was an adult Large.  It fit me like a sleeping bag, I mean I could literally curl up inside of it, but I did not care. The Broncos went on to beat the Packers 31-24 the DAY BEFORE my birthday. I wore that huge puffy coat proudly and as often as possible.
Fast forward almost 20 years...the Broncos fought their way to the top again and I still have that coat. The zipper is broken halfway up, there's a hole in the inside lining, and it's not quite the sleeping bag it used to be, but I still wear it like it's 1998. Thanks to my wonderful husband, I now have a matching Manning jersey, soccer scarf and pom-pom hat. I even have pajama sweats. I wore ALL of it yesterday, and L wore her tiny little Manning jersey. I made her cry several times as I screamed at the screen (seriously, Talib?! 3 flags in the first quarter?! C'mon SON!). Eventually she fell asleep on my chest and I had to temper my joy. But not before she bit me when I screeched after a particularly exciting play. It was such a great game. I have so much respect for Peyton Manning and Von Miller, I loved watching them play! With 2.5 sacks to his name, the world discovered yesterday that, "Superman's" kryptonite is Von Miller.
This is a short but exciting post for me. My Broncos are Super Bowl Champions for the THIRD time! I'm not ashamed to admit I may have shed tears. I'm still on cloud nine, and I expect I will be donning the same old coat as often as possible in the weeks to come before the weather warms up. Who were you rooting for and why? Did you enjoy the game, or just the snacks? Do you have a favorite team or pastime that holds a special place in your heart?
Over the next week, I will be revealing some of the projects that have been going on in the Troja household, as well as what God has been teaching me this week in my Bible study. Stay tuned for more! GO BRONCOS!



Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment