Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

2016 - The One Where Lucy Finally Gets To Be In A Show

If you've ever watched the show "I Love Lucy," then you know that many episodes revolve around Lucy's hilariously misguided attempts to be in Ricky's show. I've seen every single digitally remastered episode and I still laugh at every goofy moment. I remember thinking, "If only Lucy knew there's a whole TV show dedicated to her antics!" I think there's a parallel there that often applies to our lives, and it might seem like a bit of a stretch, but hear me out. Lucy's on-screen character was so busy trying to be a part of Ricky's show, she had no idea that SHE was the real show. Now I know that there's obviously a difference between Lucy Ricardo, the fictional character, and Lucille Ball, the actor/writer/producer of the show. I still think there's a parallel here, and it's this:

How often do we get so caught up in trying to make life happen that we completely miss the bigger picture?

Slow down. Say no. Ask for help. These are phrases friends and family alike have said to me a few dozen times in my life. If asked to describe me, I think those same people would include words such as: stubborn, independent, busy, worried, stressed. These would be alongside other more positive traits as well, but to get the full picture you have to be completely honest. Like Lucy, I get caught up in the little things; I worry about them, stress over them, and struggle to do everything on my own because I don't want to be a burden. I get so buried in the weeds that I completely lose sight of the forest. In doing so, I'm sure I unwittingly miss out on some of the wonderful blessings God has for me.

I fail to see that while I'm trying to be in every little show, my life is THE show. God is waiting in the wings to give me an incredible, abundant life (see John 10:10). All I have to do is...Slow down. Say no. Ask for help.

That's what inspired my vision for 2016. Day by day, month by month, I will aim to declutter, let go, slow down, and enjoy my life. I know it sounds ambiguous, lofty, and probably more than a little cliche. But it's a change that is long overdue! I'm going to use this blog, various means of planning/organizing, help from others, and - most importantly - God, to achieve as much abundant and audacious (yes, I'm currently reading Beth Moore...) life as possible. Who's with me?

Next time I'll start spelling out some of my specific goals and the tools I will use to achieve them. Please know (in case I fail to mention it) that God will always be the crucial ingredient to any/every effort and success.

Here's to 2016 being the year I finally learn a few ways to kick back and enjoy the show!

Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie

NOTE: This is a photo taken from my quiet time this morning. I thought the example sentence was apropos my vision!

No comments:

Post a Comment