Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Birthday Buddies

Today is my birthday. I'm 29. Yikes! One more year until I hit the next "milestone." Oddly enough, I don't really mind the impending 3-0, and I'm not focused on that at all. I know a lot of people freak out, but I still feel like my life is just getting started. I just had THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE. And I'm determined to make 2016 even better. What's there to freak out about?! Let's just recap again, shall we? Since I've turned 28, I've:

  • ...left the Air Force (ok, so I turned 28 shorty thereafter, but close enough)
  • ...moved to Kansas
  • ...had a baby
  • ...watched my sister graduate training and start an exciting new life
  • ...had tons of family visit
  • ...traveled to new places (Ohio, Alaska)
  • ...saw a very dear friend get married (shout out to my LLBFF, "LeSarah")
  • ...formed wonderful new friendships
  • ...AND *drumroll please* just today we found out that my husband earned a promotion! 
I'd say that's a pretty good year, wouldn't you?! 

Birthdays are special for most people, but mine is especially special (yes, I know - special, especially special) in that I get to share it with my husband. That's right, out of the billions of people on this planet, I managed not only to find the most incredible man but he even has the same birthday as me! I knew it was meant to be from the moment he asked me "to go to a movie or waste time with him or something" on Instant Messenger. At work. At the end of the day so if I didn't respond he could chalk it up to me having gone home for the day. So then I Facebook-stalked him and discovered we had the same birthday. It was clearly kismet. Well, God actually, but fate nonetheless. And now...oh, how I love him...He's one of the few lucky husbands in the world who has absolutely zero excuses for ever forgetting my birthday. I guess that means we're both lucky. I get an amazing husband and he has a foolproof way to always remember my birthday. It's a win-win.

So as I count my blessings on my birthday, I count my husband not once, not twice, but thrice. He's my soulmate, my best friend, and my beloved birthday buddy. I like to tell him that he may have had it first, but I made it even better. I even helped ease the pain of Super Bowl XXI for my poor father after he watched our beloved Denver Broncos lose to the New York Giants. **Important side note: that wouldn't happen today. Peyton would never let little brother, Eli, win! Also, I predict Peyton will go out on a high note this year in Super Bowl L (aka Super Bowl 50). Watch out Carolina!** 

As we celebrate our birthday each year, I will try to ensure my husband knows just how precious he is to me. Sadly, this year I completely screwed up and forgot to get him a card. I usually get about three cards because I can never settle on just one. They all say wonderful things that express all the many reasons I love him. So he ends up with what amounts to a novel of sappy Hallmark love to read through. Not this year...for some strange reason, this year it completely slipped my mind. I feel awful and have decided to double down on making my husband a priority. 

One of the goals that I shared previously was to encourage him daily. I want this year to be amazing for him too, and I want his loving wife to be one of the contributing factors. He does so much for me and loves me with such a generous, patient, tender love. In some of my future posts, I plan to share with you some of the incredible things he's done. Seriously, he's so talented and thoughtful, I know you'll be blown away. I also plan to continue to share with you as God increases my love for my husband. I know it will only grow exponentially as the days and years pass. After all, I've forgiven him of his biggest flaw already: he's a Seattle Seahawks fan *small grimace*. 

I can just see us, once the kids are grown and gone, it'll just be the two of us again. We'll be celebrating our 90-something birthday holding hands, exchanging half a dozen cards, and reminiscing between bites of chicken pad thai, thai ice tea, and chicken sauté. And we'll still be madly in love. That's my prayer and my dream for our future, starting with this year. To love my husband deeply, wholly, and continuously. 

Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie
Love and football

No comments:

Post a Comment