Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Fighting off the Mom-bie.

Holy cow, has it really been four days since I last posted?! Well, just so you know, I haven't been completely slacking. Our sweet L has NOT been sleeping, which means Mommy has not been sleeping, which means Mommy got run down, which means *of course* Mommy got a nasty cold. Ugh. If there was some lovely snow on the ground to justify this cold and take the edge off my misery, it might not be so bad...haha oh woe is me!

Getting back to what's important...I'd like to wrap up my goals for you. This year's goals are about developing positive, healthy habits while allowing myself grace and patience when it seems like life is overwhelming. I've shared my top three goals for 2016. Those will be my primary focus throughout the year, and hopefully I will be able to share updates on positive progress with you as we go along. Those are not the only goals I have, but they are the only ones that I will not put on the back burner. I have lots of little aspirations, things that I would like to do to improve myself and our quality of life. I fully expect this list will change as I (hopefully) check things off, but here's what I have so far:
  1. Find a way to encourage my husband every single day. It sounds like something that should be fundamental to any marriage, right? Unfortunately, I stink at it. My poor, long-suffering husband is so supportive and works so hard every single day, only to come home to a frazzled wife and a messy house. I say that I try, but I really do need to make an effort to try harder. I'll probably expand on this one later in a post that is slowly writing itself in my heart. 
  2. Take three courses towards my MA. I'm studying Human Services Counseling through Liberty University, focusing on the Crisis Response and Trauma cognate. It is exactly the degree I need/want in order to be able to continue my volunteer work with victims of sexual assault in the future. I am currently registered for two classes from Jan-May 2016. If I can squeeze one more in later in the year, I will only have three left to complete my degree! 
  3. Read one recreational book per month. This is in addition to any books I use for my quiet time and does not include the books required for my MA classes. This is purely for my enjoyment. Right now I'm reading Audacious by Beth Moore and it's fantastic! I love her voice and her passion is inspiring. I highly recommend it!
  4. Learn to knit and continue learning to sew. I am comfortable enough in my crocheting skills that I feel like I can afford to divert some time to learning to knit. I'll still work on improving my crocheting, but I'm looking forward to learning some new skills. I have quite a few patterns,  a lot of fabric, and heaps of yarn skeins. I think that should keep me busy for a while... 
  5. Blog at least twice per week. I still don't know why I feel led to do this. Maybe it'll reach people; maybe it'll die out by the end of the year and it will have been nothing more than a venue through which I practice my writing. Who knows? As my British friends would say, "I'm going to give it a go!"
I suppose that's it for now. You may look at these and laugh at the new-Mommy naïveté; or you may be impressed that I'm able to do more than just get out of bed and survive. If I'm honest, there are some days I have to stop myself from succumbing to the temptation to morph into a "Mom-bie" (def: an exhausted woman driven to the brink of madness; usually spotted wearing sweats/yoga pants, messy up-do, and prowling the aisles of Target; survives on caffeine and sheer force of will; smells of french fries, apple juice, and ever-so-slightly of vomit). I've seen and pitied those women. Heck, I've been in their shoes and I only have one child (so far)...but I know that God has big things for me this year. How do I know? Because that has been His trend for every single year of my life. I'm so excited to get started! Please feel free to share any of your thoughts and/or goals with me. What are you up to? How is God moving in your life? What would you think of a Trump-Palin Whitehouse? Oops, sorry I lost focus there...I need more Tylenol and/or caffeine again. I'm off to make some tea and spend some time with my husband. I hope you all have a blessed week!

Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment