Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016

#Adulting

I've always enjoyed January. It's like the calm after the storm of three months of holiday season. Let's be honest, the hype starts in October (whether or not you actually celebrate Halloween), and the next three months are the most exhausting time of the year. Don't get me wrong, I adore the holiday season. I even have a sweatshirt that says so. Here's a photo from Christmas 2013 to prove it:

That was my least favorite Christmas so far (I was deployed overseas), and I still managed to enjoy it. But there's something special about the subtle way that January quietly ushers in every new year. 

Think about it. There's usually still winter weather, maybe some snow on the ground, football, cocoa, and fires in fireplaces. People are still dreaming about their New Year's resolutions and how they're going to change the world. There's a lot of positivity in January. Plus, as mentioned last time, it's a very special month for birthdays in the Troja household. I love January. 

January 2016 is no different; it did not disappoint. In fact, this January started 2016 off at a joyous sprint! I "graduated" from physical therapy (which means I am healed enough to start working out fully again),  my husband earned a promotion, we had our birthday, and we got a new minivan. That's right, you read that right - we got a minivan. You'd think getting married, buying three houses, or having a child would've made me realize I'm an adult; however, I can honestly say I've never felt the full weight of that until we went shopping for our first minivan. Minivans in my mind mean lots of kids, road trips, forgotten french fries, mystery smells and muddy cleats. In social media lingo, minivans mean #adulting. All that aside, I am relieved to tell you that I am in love with my new minivan. I want to sit in it and smell it and take it places it's never been, like Costco, Target, and Hobby Lobby...in short, my minivan is awesome.


Other highlights this month:
  • Book(s): Audacious by Beth Moore. I can't say enough positive things about this book. I love how her voice truly comes out in this one. It's honest, addictive, inspiring, and eloquent. I've always enjoyed her studies, but Audacious stands on it's own as a letter from the heart of one of the preeminent female Christian leaders of our time. Get it. Read it. ASAP.
  • Project(s): The nursery! L is going to be 11 months old this week and I'm just now finally getting her room done. I'm sure I won't be able to go to such great lengths for all of our children, so I allowed myself to enjoy it this time. More details and photos to follow in a separate post...so stay tuned!
  • Brag of the month: my incredible hubby finished several projects for me. I simply mentioned a fun idea - he took each of my ideas and improved on them until they were the most wonderful, Pinterest-worthy projects. He's so amazing. Again, more details and photos to follow in a future post...stay tuned!
  • Bible study: Right now I'm in a women's group that is studying the Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer. If you've never heard her speak, look up her podcast (Going Beyond Ministries). She's another brilliant and beautiful woman of God who will absolutely knock your socks off. 
  • Goal Progress: Well, I continue to lose/maintain weight, I've grown so much through each of the Bible studies I'm doing (and Audacious), and I'm starting to get the hang of keeping a household schedule. I got some sewing done, and I now think I have everything I need to learn the basics of knitting. Oh, and I'm in the third week of a graduate course on integrating psychology and theology. I promise, it's not as boring as it sounds. 
I'm so grateful for January. It's been wonderful! How about yours? How is God working in your life? How is your 2016 so far? I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see what February holds! I'm looking forward to the "long stretches of harmless, happy days...filled with work and dreams and laughter and lessons." (see below) I think it's in those quiet moments that we find the most peace and joy. Until next time...

Hapless but hopeful,
Cassie



No comments:

Post a Comment